My lovely followers

Sunday 8 December 2013

Rest peacefully my beautiful Barney

Hello crafty friends

I'm here with just a quick post to share my sad new - one that only an animal lover will really understand.   I got back from holiday yesterday morning knowing that my dear old beautiful Barney cat was not well.  My daughter had told me through the week that "something" had happened  probably a minor stroke or bleed on his brain and although he wasn't in any pain he just wasn't well at all.  I came home really hoping that things weren't so bad - but as soon as I saw him I knew that it was time to let him go.  At the grand old age of almost 18 years he already had a problem with his kidneys and although controlled well with diet he had lost weight through it and I think his poor body just gave up.  

I used to show and breed British Shorthair cats- only in a small way- when my kids were little, and Barney was my very first kitten born in the cupboard under the stairs, it was a life long love affair between us, I really was the love of his life! - he was my constant shadow and  loved sitting on my lap with his head tucked under my chin, the most gentle beautiful cat I've ever had with his bright green eyes and black eye-liner.

These photographs were taken a couple of years ago - my beautiful boy at around 14 or 15 years old - still in his absolute prime - and that is how I remember him




I am just heartbroken and devastated that he is gone but surprisingly I feel quite calm now that it's all over - because I think I did the very best last thing that I could for him, and the vet let him peacefully fall asleep in my arms.

I'm not feeling particularly crafty or bloggy at the moment - so I'll take a few days just to recharge.

Rest in peace my beautiful boy x



17 comments:

Sue said...

Oh Judith, I am so sorry to hear about your beloved Barney. It sounds like he was a very special part of your life and very handsome too. I totally understand how you must be feeling right now.
Thinking of you and sending you big hugs
Sue xx

Janice said...

Poor Judith, my fellow cat lover. So sorry to read about Barney, he looks a gorgeous cat and from your description, the perfect pet. I'm sure he had a long and happy life and you did what was right for him. A sad call to make but you just know when it's the right think to do. Big hug Judith, Jx

Jennifer said...

Dear Judith, I am so very sorry to read that you have lost your beloved Barney. He was beautiful, and I hope you will find comfort in knowing that he is at peace, and you made the right decision for him, albeit such a difficult one.

We know that we are coming to that decision soon for our darling Pally. He will be 15 at Christmas, and has had several episodes of cancer (in remission now), ticks, blood poisoning, and several other illnesses and injuries. He is losing weight, and has ceased to groom himself.

Once again, I feel sad for you, but hope soon that smiles for the happy memories will replace your tears.

Hugs,
Jennifer. x

Sue B said...

Aww I'm so sorry for your loss Judith… they are like family and you must feel heartbroken right now. I know it's hard letting them go… but you did the kindest thing by not letting him suffer. Hold onto all those good memories of Barney hun.
Warm hugs
Love Sue xx

karen said...

So sorry Judith, sending hugs, RIP gorgeous Barney, lots of love, Karenxx

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Oh Judith I am so sorry for you. I have got tears in my eyes I thoroughly understand how you feel. I lost two of my cats in less than a fortnight earlier this year. One, Cleo, was 17 and died of kidney failure. The other, Louis, was only 8 and had a tumour on his liver it was a real shock. Sending you big hugs, Susan xx

Carol Willis said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your beautiful Barney. Rest in Peace Barney.
Hugs
Caz x

Evas Pyssel said...

So sorry that you lost your beloved Barney. Cats and dogs are like familymembers.You want them to live long and be healthy. We have had many cats here and we have missed everyone ,as well as our dogs.
Lots of hugs from Eva

KraftyKoolKat said...

I am so sorry Judith at your sad loss. I am in tears for you. I have been there three times so I know the pain you are feeling. You can only look back at the good times and know you gave him all the love you could. He is free of pain now sweetie.

Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

Pat K said...

Oh Judith...I'm so sorry to hear about your beautiful Barney. Your words brought me to tears. Sounds like you had a very special bond. Sending big hugs, Pat K xx

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss, what a beautiful cat, I understand how you feel, take care!
Helen x

Tammy said...

Oh Judith, I am so sorry to hear about your beloved Barney, he was such a beautiful cat. My heart breaks because I know how you feel... sending you the biggest hugs.
Tammy xx

Wendy said...

Oh Judith, I'm so so sorry to read your very sad post about your beloved Barney, such a beautiful cat. My heart goes out to you, have been there and know how heartbreaking it is.Oh can't see what I'm typing now tears flowing down my face.
Sending you a BIG hug.
Take care
more hugs
Wendy xx

Jade said...

I felt so sad reading your blog. But you were right to let him go gently and now you have a kitty angel in heaven. I can't imagine heaven without our animal family members. Hugs, Jade

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Oh hunnie I am sorry, sending you huge huge hugs xx

(AJ) ArtJypsy said...

So sorry to hear about Barney. He was a beautiful cat and I am sure he lived a happy long life. It is always sad when a fur-baby goes - but rest assured he is in a better place and not in any more pain. Hugs.

Whisper said...

Aaah bless you hun, i didn't realise about poor Barney - sending you lots of Hugs hun, luv Sam x